,What’s the best rifle for survival? This is a highly debated question and one that usually stirs up some pretty heated debate. While there’s no “perfect” survival rifle, I think the .22 rifle is probably one of the best survival guns that you can own.
The perfect survival rifle is often the topic of heated conversations between survivalists; and while I’m sure I’m going to get some comments that totally disagree with what I’m about to say, there are a number of reasons that a .22 should be at the top of your list of guns.
- The .22LR Rifle is one of the most affordable weapons in the world. For me, it’s all about getting the biggest bang for your buck; the .22 allows you to do just that. If you’re on a strict budget, the ability to buy multiple rifles, instead of one that might fail with time, just makes more sense.
- The .22 Long Rifle ammo is the most common type of ammunition in the world. It’s super cheap, widely available, and can be used in both rifles and pistols. If you’re low on cash and need to stock up on ammo, this is a good type of rifle to start out with.
- It has a low recoil and can be fired by just about anyone.
- They are great for hunting small to mid-size game, and with the right shot you can take down just about anything. In fact, I have talked to a number of people who use a .22 bolt action rifle as their main hunting weapon. Many of them, because they have the skills to do so, routinely take down big game with it.
Which .22 Rifle Should you Buy?
There are a lot of really good rifles out there, but if I can only choose one, it should be the Ruger 10/22 and here’s why:
- The Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular rifle on the market. If the SHTF, having this gun could come in handy if you have to barter for parts. It’s going to be a lot easier to find parts for guns that are popular.
- It’s also an easy gun to work on. If your gun breaks, you not only want one that is easy to find parts for but one that will be easy to put back together.
- There Cheap. For under $200 you can buy a brand new Ruger. I suggest buying a couple, that way you can swap parts in an emergency.
- Because of their popularity, there’s a huge aftermarket. It’s very easy to find extra magazines, add-ons, and scopes specifically made for the Ruger. One Caveat here is that some of the aftermarket clips are complete garbage and made with crappy plastic parts so make sure you do your research.