Long-Term SHTF Food Storage Planning
While food in a short-term survival situation is rarely a priority, when it comes to planning for a long-term SHTF situation, food needs to be high on your list of priorities. There really is no one size fits all food plan, but there are a couple of rules that people often overlook.
Make sure it tastes good
Many first time preppers make the mistake of stockpiling foods that they would never eat in a non-survival situation. During an emergency situation, do you really want to start eating foods that may disagree with your body?
- Stock up on foods that you would normally eat on a day-to-day basis. Now I don’t mean that you should stock up on things that will spoil, but you should definitely stock up on foods that your family is familiar with and enjoys eating.
- Don’t forget the comfort foods. Maintaining a positive mental attitude during a stressful survival situation is an extremely important aspect of survival. Don’t discount the need for stocking up on foods that will help you pick up your spirits during tough times.
- Stock up on flavor enhancers like salt, sugar, honey and long-term spices that store well.
Don’t forget to rotate your stocks
Rotating your emergency food preps into your regular diet is smart for a couple of reasons.
- Using a First in First Out system of rotation will guarantee that your food is as fresh as possible. You’ll also cut down on waste by not having to throw away food that has spoiled.
- It ensures that your body will be able to handle the food that you buy. If you’re eating it now, chances are you will want to eat it post-SHTF
- It gives you a good idea of how much food you have, and where any short comings may be.
Your Calorie needs will be higher in a SHTF situation
When planning on how much food to store, keep in mind that your needs may be very different from what they are today.
In a SHTF situation, you will likely have to work a whole lot harder than you do today. From cutting firewood and farming, to hunting and other laborious duties, your body is going to need extra calories to sustain your lifestyle.
Learn how to do without it
While having emergency food can help you get through the initial phases of any disaster, to be truly prepared you need to learn how to find and prepare food when your stocks run out.
- Find out what wild edibles are in your area and learn how to prepare them.
- Learn how to grow and harvest your own food supply.
- Learn how to hunt, fish and trap.