Powerline feeding southern California severed
More that 6 Million people throughout Southern California are without power after a major transmission line was severed. Officials are declining to comment on what caused the line to be severed, butthey are saying that it was not a terrorist attack.
Orange County, Coachella Valley, eastern San Diego, and parts of northern Mexico are all experiencing power outages. Police agencies in New York City and Washington were alerted to a major terrorist plot earlier today, but officials are denying that this has anything to do with that threat.
UPDATE: 7p.m. PST
- San Diego Airport completely shut down – All San Diego Flights grounded because of power outage.
- Outages also effecting Arizona and Mexico
- SDG&E say’s outage cause unclear, but “first time we’ve lost an entire system”
- San Diego – 13 police stations without power
- SDG&E – two of the other main power supplies in the region are also down…. a transmission line from the north and one from the east
UPDATE: 8:10p.m. PST
- Boil Water notice issued for parts of Southern California
- Officials are asking people in the following water districts…. Fallbrook public, valley center municipal, Ramona municipal and Coronado to start conserving water so it doesn’t add extra stress to the system.
- All San Diego County schools closed tomorrow.
- California National Guard put on alert because of outage
UPDATE: 8:35p.m. PST
- Maj. Thomas Keegan from the National Guard Headquarters Sacramento – “We alerted our forces of possible call-up — to put people on notice that there may be an activation — guard on heightened state of alert.”
UPDATE: 9:15p.m. PST
- Blackout shuts down San Onofre nuclear reactors
- Reports of looting coming in from all over Southern California. People coordinating looting on Social Media.
UPDATE: 10:40p.m. PST
- San Diego Sheriff: “The county has declared a local emergency, so any looting is now considered a felony.”
UPDATE: 11:20p.m. PST
- Pockets of power starting to come back in some areas of southern California but there are still millions without power….officials say that most areas will be out throughout the night and into tomorrow.