For some people, the election of Donald Trump has completely flipped the prepping paradigm. Those who prepped like madmen, fearing that the policies put in place by Barack Obama would kick of some sort of apocalyptic catastrophe, have started to gear down. On the other side, we have people who have spent the last eight years making fun of preppers, ridiculing them, and calling them names like “conspiracy theorists,” who have now completely flip-flopped and are preparing for their version of the apocalypse, under Donald Trump.
It really is unfortunate; this narrow view of preparedness is dangerous.
Anyone who has followed this site for awhile knows that I’m an equal opportunity offender – I offend everyone, and I have no problems going after those in power, no matter what letter they put in front of their name. You should also know that I take government abuse seriously; I still believe the government is one of the largest threats we face – no matter who is in office.
For those who think they have nothing to worry about now that Trump is in power, let me remind you of the realities of the world we live in today. While the country may be divided on policy issues, those in Washington D.C. are not. Sure, they put on a good show; but when it comes down to it, they are all the same; they crave power, and they will do anything they can to keep it.
With the election of Donald Trump, we essentially have an outsider coming to D.C., and that threatens everyone who holds power. In my opinion, there are going to be a whole lot of people on both sides of the political aisle who will do anything they can to resist whatever change is coming.
Threats that are Not Going Away under Trump, and Some that will Get Worse!
If you have stopped prepping, or believe that the world is now going to become some utopian wonderworld under Donald Trump, you need to think again! When it comes to preparedness, some threats never change, and when it comes to this latest election cycle, there are some threats that have become even larger!
Prepping for a Loss of Income
From automation, self-driving vehicles, and factories filled with robots to a country that is still $20 TRILLION in debt, the economy and the threat of losing your income is going to be a problem for quite some time.
Things to consider:
- Make sure you have an emergency fund. If the worst should happen, having an emergency fund can help see you through times of unemployment or financial uncertainty.
- Start moving towards self-reliance. The more self-reliant skills you have, the better prepared you will be to survive a job loss, a loss of income, or any other financial threat that might come about in the coming years.
- Stockpile long-term food. Should you lose a job or face an economic crisis, having a well-stocked pantry full of food goes a long way during an emergency. Work towards having a 3-6 month supply of food.
- Learn what you need to do to Prepare for an Economic Collapse. If you haven’t already, it’s time to put together an economic survival plan.
- Don’t be one of the 60% of Americans who have less than $1,000 in Savings. Whether it’s having a garage sale or cutting back on useless crap, you need to start taking your financial preparedness seriously.
There will Still be Natural Disasters under Donald Trump
If your preparedness revolves around those in power, you need to open your eyes to the reality of prepping. No matter who is in power, we are still going to be hit with natural disasters and other catastrophes.
From wildfires and flooding to earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornados, at some point, you are going to be faced with an emergency that requires you to be ready for the aftermath.
Things to consider:
- Do you have a bug out plan? Even if you’re someone who plans on hunkering down and riding out the storm, there are going to be certain types of disasters that require you to evacuate and leave your home. Make sure you have a solid evacuation plan.
- Do you know how to shut off utilities inside your home? During certain disasters, you may have to temporarily shut off power, gas lines, and water services that feed your home. Make sure you know where the main utility shutoffs are, and make sure you have the tools to shut them down when you need to.
- Do you have emergency supplies to see you through these short-term disasters? The government says you should have 72 hours’ worth of supplies; I call BS on that number! You need to have a minimum of two weeks’ worth of food, water, and emergency supplies on hand at all times.
- Conduct Monthly Preparedness Drills. One of the best ways to prepare yourself and your family for disasters and threats, as well as discover any holes in your plans, is to conduct periodic emergency safety drills.
- Check out our Natural Disasters Checklist.
Cyber Attacks & Attacks on the Grid
Personally, I think the whole Russian Hacking story is nothing but government propaganda and fear mongering; but the fact is Cyber Threats are a real problem. As the world grows increasingly dependent on technology, we place ourselves in a very vulnerable position.
Between 2011 and 2014, American Electric Companies reported 362 physical and cyber attacks that caused outages or other power disturbances. In a vast majority of those cases, no suspects were ever identified.
If you ask most cyber-security experts, they will tell you that we are under constant attack 24/7, 365 days a year. It’s really only a matter of time before one of these attacks takes out a large part of our essential infrastructure.
Preparing for Social Unrest
This is one of the problems that is going to get much worse before it gets any better. Already there are hundreds of different activists groups and domestic terrorists preparing to create chaos throughout the country once Donald Trump takes office.
Since he was elected in November, we have seen numerous attacks on Americans, terror attacks, and riots throughout the United States — much of this coming from groups who oppose his presidency.
- Christmas Mall Riots Were Planned Attacks
- Disgusting Media Covered up Mass Violence, Rioting, and Looting by Anti-Trump Activists
- The Chicago Four: Anti-Trump Terrorists Kidnap Autistic Man
We reported on these types of incidents throughout the election, something the mainstream media refused to do. You need to be prepared for these types of problems to get worse!
It starts with Situational Awareness: The only way you can protect yourself from these wackos is to be extremely aware of your surroundings.
- Realize these attacks can happen anywhere, even at places that you’ve visited thousands of times in the past. These type of criminals like to attacks malls, large events, or anywhere they know they will get media attention. You must stay aware of your surroundings at all times, even in areas where you routinely visit.
- Put down the cellphone and pay attention to your environment. It’s hard to know what’s going on around you if you have your head buried in an electronic device.
- Trust your instincts: If something doesn’t seem right, pay attention to your gut feelings and get out.
You need to take Self-Defense Seriously! There is no substitute for real-world self-defense training. Check out these articles:
- Protecting yourself from terror attacks at Large Events
- EDC Bug Out Kit – Your Every Day Carry Solution
- Surviving an Active Shooter Situation
- Protecting School Children from Mass Shootings
- Tips for buying your first firearm
Prepping is much more than preparing for some statistical anomaly or prepping based on who is in power; it’s about analyzing what threats are out there and then getting ready to survive those situations that can feel like the end of the world if you’re not prepared.