One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family during any crisis or disaster is to stay aware to what’s going on around you. That means knowing where to find information, knowing how to decipher it when you receive it, and then coming up with a plan of action based on the best facts available to you at the time.
The Media isn’t going to tell you the Whole Story.
The minute you hear any type of news that may affect your health and safety you need to start gathering information. Far too many people rely solely on what they hear on the evening news; chances are this information has been highly processed, highly sanitized and then scrubbed by government/media PR people. Most “reporters” don’t report the news; they read carefully crafted scripts from one of the wire services – Associated Press or Reuters – or they read information that is coming directly from government propagandists.
Think I’m exaggerating? Check out these video….
Do your own research.
People often email me asking how I’m able to break stories ahead of the major news organizations; I’m able to break these stories because I do my own research. I don’t rely on government spun stories, or skillfully crafted press releases; I do my own research and you should too!
The minute you catch wind of a potential disaster or threat, you need to figure out what’s really going on.
- Jump on Twitter (social media, especially Twitter, is great for real-time information directly from the affected areas.)
- Start monitoring police scanners.
- Monitor local shortwave radio and Ham bands.
These are all unfiltered sources where you can find first-hand accounts and information to what’s really happening – information that can buy you valuable time during a disaster. While everyone else is just hearing about the threat on their local news station, you will be miles outside the danger zone, implementing your disaster preparedness plan.
Get the Tools you need to Monitor Local & National Intel.
- Use a tool like TweetDeck to monitor relevant keywords during a Crisis. This incredibly useful twitter extension allows you to monitor keywords that are directly related to real-time disasters and threats, giving you real-time information to what’s really going on down on the ground.
- Install a good police scanner app on your Phone. Apps like Scanner Radio Deluxe allow you to monitor local and national police and fire rescue transmissions. This is information that you will not hear on the news or even via social media.
- SHTF Emergency Communication Networks– Read our article on emergency communication, and then print out the extensive list of emergency communication frequencies.
- Install an RSS Feed Reader. Installing a RSS feed reader like Feedly will allow you to know exactly when websites like this one put out a new article. You can also create specific categories with all your trusted news sources. Once you install an RSS Reader, the OffGridSurvival.com RSS Feed can be accessed here.