Survival Item – Pellet Guns
Most people wouldn’t think of a BB gun or a pellet gun as a survival item, but lately a number or people have emailed us asking about adding one to their supplies. While it wouldn’t be my first option, there are some reasons you may want to consider adding one to your survival stockpile.
Technology has made them stronger and more reliable
In terms of technology, design and manufacturing, BB guns have come a long way over the last decade. Today’s BB guns are not the BB guns of your youth, and many of them are actually very reliable and very powerful. Pellet guns take things up a notch, and are great for plinkers or hunting small game.
- They are both quite capable of taking small game like birds, rodents, squirrels and small rabbits.
- If you want to increase your odds, look for a pellet gun with a high velocity of at least 700 FPS in a .22 cal, or 950 FPS in a .177 cal.
- A good scope can increase accuracy, and help you spot smaller game.
They are dirt cheap
With the recent rise in ammo prices, and a sudden shortage of rimfire ammunition, a lot of people are looking for cheaper alternatives. For training purposes, a BB gun might not be a bad alternative for speed or defensive drills. It’s probably not going to make you a better shooter, but it can be used to simulate some self-defense situations, and sure is a lot cheaper than almost anything else you can shoot.
- A 500 ct. box of pellets is going to cost you around 10 bucks, and BBs are going to be even cheaper at $10 for around 6,000.
- A decent BB or Pellet gun, suitable for hunting small game, can be found for under $200
A couple more reasons to consider adding a BB or Pellet gun to your survival stockpiles
- They are legal to carry in most areas of the country.
- They are quite and do not attract as much attention, making it easier to take out multiple small animals when hunting.
- They are just plain fun, and can be a great way to introduce children to firearms.
Of course if you’re looking to take things to the next level, I highly recommend checking out a Ruger 10/22. It’s one of our favorite .22LR Rifles on the market.
Some BB Guns and Ammo that we like: