It’s starting to look like life will not return to normal for quite a while. Today, President Trump announced the federal government has extended the national social distancing guidelines to April 30th.
The guidelines, designed to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, were originally set for 15 days and were set to expire Tuesday. The president said the peak of COVID-19 death rates is “likely to hit in two weeks.”
Many suggesting Lockdowns could last until June or Longer
In the UK, Professor Neil Ferguson is calling for the entire population to stay at home for three months to stop the spread of COVID-19. Prof Ferguson told The Times: “We’re going to have to keep these measures [the full lockdown] in place, in my view, for a significant period of time — probably until the end of May, maybe even early June. May is optimistic.”
In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned that the coronavirus’ spread could last as long as 9 months. Cuomo says New Yorkers should be prepared for widespread business closings and stay-at-home orders to last months to combat the surge in coronavirus cases.
“This is not a short-term situation,” he said in a Sunday briefing with reporters. “This is not a long weekend. This is not a week.”
“It is going to be four months, six months, nine months,” he continued.
“The timeline — nobody can tell you, it depends on how we handle it — but 40%, up to 80% of the population will wind up getting this virus,” Cuomo said. “All we’re trying to do is slow the spread. But it will spread — it is that contagious.”
The Nightmare and Crackdown on Civil Liberties Continues
As this never-ending nightmare continues, one of the most troubling things is the unprecedented crackdown on civil liberties. Never before has a so-called public health emergency caused these type of world-wide lockdowns and suspensions of civil liberties. We’ve seen things like:
- Chicago Mayor and Police Chief Warn Those Who Go Outside To Exercise Risk Arrest
- Miami to Impose Mandatory City Curfew Over COVID-19 Concerns
- Michigan Governor Threatens Doctors Who Prescribe Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- Fauci Warns Coronavirus Could Become Seasonal
- Nevada Gov. Sisolak bans gatherings of 10 or more people
- LA County Sheriff Orders Gun Stores To Close as He Releases 1,700 Inmates From County Jails.
- Gun Stores Throughout Country Being Forced to Close: Police Stop Issuing License to Carry Permits in Some Areas
- People Being Turned in By Neighbors and Arrested for Not Obeying Government Stay at Home/ No Gathering Orders
Several experts actually think we may be doing more harm than good with these lockdowns. Researchers at Stanford University have been saying the virus isn’t as deadly as some claim. Stanford Health Policy’s Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya say current estimates about the COVID-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude.
“If it’s true that the novel coronavirus would kill millions without shelter-in-place orders and quarantines, then the extraordinary measures being carried out in cities and states around the country are surely justified. But there’s little evidence to confirm that premise—and projections of the death toll could plausibly be orders of magnitude too high.
“Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate — 2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others. So if 100 million Americans ultimately get the disease, 2 million to 4 million could die. We believe that estimate is deeply flawed. The true fatality rate is the portion of those infected who die, not the deaths from identified positive cases.”
“The latter rate is misleading because of selection bias in testing. The degree of bias is uncertainbecause available data are limited. But it could make the difference between an epidemic that kills 20,000 and one that kills 2 million. If the number of actual infections is much larger than the number of cases—orders of magnitude larger—then the true fatality rate is much lower as well. That’s not only plausible but likely based on what we know so far.”
Coronavirus Preparedness Resources:
Please read our article from last week about Media Hysteria, Global Panic, and a Rational Look at the Actual Numbers — Panic and hysteria are starting to do far more damage than the actual coronavirus!
- How Not to Get Overwhelmed By the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Pandemics and How to Prepare for a Pandemic Outbreak.
- Prepper 101: Your Survival Guide to Getting Started
- Emergency Communication Preparedness Checklist
- Best Emergency Food: The Top Survival Food Supplies
- What could happen under Martial law
- Grocery Options that Ship to your Home: Amazon Fresh, Bulk Emergency Foods, or Amazon Grocery.