Dick’s Sporting Goods announced today that they will be tightening their gun polices even more, and will stop selling firearms at 125 of its 729 stores nationwide. The move really isn’t a surprise, as the company who once made millions selling guns has become one of the loudest anti-gun companies in the country.
In February of 2018, Dick’s stopped selling so-called assault-style rifles, raised the minimum age to purchase a gun to 21, and started publicly demonizing long rifles. In April, they actually destroyed their entire inventory of AR-15s instead of returning them to the manufacturer.
Dick’s was one of the first companies to implement major anti-gun policies in the wake of the Parkland, Fla., high school shooting.
“Based on what’s happened, and looking at those kids and those parents, it moved us all unimaginably and to think about the loss and the grief that those kids and those parents had, we said, we need to do something,” Stack said at the time.
Previous attempts to demonize gun owners have caused the company’s sales to sharply decline. But apparently a drop in profits is not stopping them from pushing their anti-gun crusade.
Dick’s CEO Ed Stack said the removal of guns from the 125 stores will be completed this year, and the company will consider removing firearms from all of their stores in coming years, depending on how these 125 stores perform.
“If it goes as well as expected, we would probably take another batch of stores next year,” Stack said in Tuesday’s earnings call.
The in-store sections will be replaced with “merchandise categories that can drive growth,” he said.
Stack previously predicted his anti-gun actions would bring in new customers, but sales have dropped by 6.5 percent since he started pulling guns from his stores. On Tuesday, Dick’s stocks plunged by 11%.