The dangerously incompetent CDC, which allowed numerous Ebola-infected patients into the country back in 2014, has yet again allowed a U.S. physician who was exposed to Ebola while treating patients in the Democratic Republic of Congo back into the U.S. for observation.
The physician, who has not been identified, is being sent to the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha for monitoring. During the Obama administration, The Nebraska Biocontainment Unit was one of three units selected to care for United States citizens medically evacuated from Africa with the Ebola virus.
An American providing medical assistance overseas during an Ebola outbreak will soon be monitored at Nebraska Medical Center after a possible exposure in the Democratic Republic of Congo. More information is available on our website: https://t.co/g9DKLoeJ5n— Nebraska Medicine (@NebraskaMed) December 29, 2018
“This person may have been exposed to the virus but is not ill and is not contagious,” said Ted Cieslak, infectious diseases specialist with Nebraska Medicine and associate professor of epidemiology in the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Public Health. “Should any symptoms develop, the Nebraska Medicine/UNMC team is among the most qualified in the world to deal with them.”
The individual was transported by private plane and automobile. Working with federal, state and county public health officials, they will be monitored in a secure area not accessible by the public or any patients. Monitoring could last up to two weeks.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is currently experiencing one of the deadliest Ebola outbreaks in history. The outbreak, which began August 1 of last year, has already claimed 300 lives.
Before running for office, President Trump said he opposed bringing Ebola patients into the United States for treatment, issuing repeated warnings on Twitter while Ebola infected patients were en route to the U.S. during the 2014 outbreak.