Earlier this week New York City sent out letters to gun owners demanding that they immediately turn in their rifles and/or shotguns that held more than five rounds of ammunition. The city sent the letters to 500 registered long gun owners that are in violation of a 2010 city ordinance.
The letters read:
It appears that you are in possession of a rifle and/or shotgun (listed below) that has an ammunition feeding device capable of holding more than five (5) rounds of ammunition. Rifles and Shotguns capable of holding more than five (5) rounds of ammunition are unlawful to possess in New York City, as per NYC administrative code 10-306 (b)
You have the following options:
1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct, and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from the City of New York thereafter.
2. Permanently remove your rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following:
- Disposition Report/Registration Certificate (PD Form 641-121).
- Notarized statement of permanent removal and statement of where the firearm will be stored outside the city of New York.
- Utility bill or other proof of residency regarding the address where the firearm will be stored.
3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance, or you may request the option to bring your firearm to a licensed gunsmith for a permanent modification and certificate proving that it is permanently modified and in compliance. If you are granted the option of seeking a permanent modification, you must provide proof that the firearm is in the possession of a licensed gunsmith in a timely matter.
New York, a city that has some of the harshest anti-gun laws in the nation, has just proven why we always say these gun registration laws will eventually lead to confiscation. Instead of focusing on the real criminals, New York has instead turned its attention to law-abiding citizens in an attempt to take their last bit of power and protection away.
What we are seeing here is exactly what happens when we allow them to pass these draconian gun-control bills. These aren’t dangerous criminals, and the firearms that are being taken aren’t even those the called “assault weapons.” In many cases, even .22lr rifles are falling into the list of prohibited guns, and owners are now being asked to surrender their rifles.