As wildfires rage throughout California, Pacific Gas & Electric and Southern California Edison have announced another set of mandatory power outages that could affect over 2 million Californians this weekend. Utility CEO Bill Johnson admitted during a news conference Thursday that many of their customers could be impacted by the potential weekend shutoffs.
“We are preparing with our communities and state agencies for a large-scale shutoff that has the potential to be on the same order as the one on Oct. 9 — but of a longer duration,” Johnson said.
So far, 850,000 PG&E customers have been notified that they may be impacted by the shutoffs starting Saturday evening.
According to PG&E.com, the potential weekend power shutoffs could affect people in the following 36 counties:
- Contra Costa
- El Dorado
- San Benito
- San Joaquin
- San Mateo
- Santa Clara
- Santa Cruz
At a news conference, PG&E officials said the weekend blackouts could grow far past the 850,000 mark and could be even larger than the one that put millions in the dark in early October. PG&E President and Chief Executive Bill Johnson added there was “elevated potential” the shut-off could last longer than the outage that started Oct. 8.
Estimates indicate the Northern California outages could affect more than 2 million people and last for several days, a spokesperson with the company said.
Southern California Outages expected to hit at least 380,000
Over 380,000 Edison customers could across six counties in Southern California could have their electricity cut off Sunday afternoon. 21,000 Edison customers are still without electricity as a result of the last cutoffs and the latest outages are expected to hit Ventura, Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties the hardest, with Orange, Riverside and Kern counties also facing more time without power.
“Given the wildfire situation that we’ve already seen, the concern about catastrophic fires is real,” Edison spokesman Robert Villegas said. “We can’t sugarcoat the fact there is a possibility of something catastrophic happening. And if we need to do it for public safety, we are going to shut the power off.”
Fires still Raging throughout California
Despite the mandatory power outages, Wild Fires are still breaking out throughout the State, many of which seem to have been deliberately started by the so-called “homeless” which have wreaked havoc throughout California, spreading disease and turning the state into a medieval hell-hole!
NOW: @LAFD doing water drops on the Sepulveda Basin Fire. That area is one of our local treasures. Was just there running after work today.— Gigi Graciette (@GigiGraciette) October 24, 2019
The homeless have taken over the area and again our local officials have let us down.
Why wasn’t the area cleared today? Why! pic.twitter.com/ZJuxoCXMqY
Update on Kincade fire:— Los Angeles Times (@latimes) October 25, 2019
– 21,900 acres have been burned
– Only 5% contained as of Friday afternoon
– The entire town of Geyserville and vineyards in the region were ordered to evacuate
– 49 structures, including 21 homes, have been destroyed https://t.co/e8JARA0xTZ pic.twitter.com/boaUpMTyGQ