A lunatic wielding a gun, a hatchet and pepper spray attacked moviegoers at an Antioch, Tennessee Theater this afternoon.
Police were called to the Carmike Hickory 8 movie theater complex in the Nashville suburb of Antioch at 1:15 p.m. CT., after a man started attacking moviegoers during a screening of Mad Max: Fury Road. At least three people were injured from pepper spray, and one of the victims was struck by the hatchet and suffered minor injuries.
According to police, the suspect was carrying two backpacks and was wearing a surgical mask. As police entered the Theater, the suspect started firing on the officers. Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron told reporters that one moviegoer was wounded by a hatchet before a SWAT team killed the suspect.
The Antioch shooting comes less than two weeks after a shooting inside a Lafayette, Louisiana theater killed three and injured nine.
Protecting yourself from Mass Shootings and Violent Attacks
It starts with Situational Awareness: The only way you can really protect yourself from these types of nutjobs is to be acutely aware of your environment. It’s unfortunate, but we live in a world where these types of attacks are growing in regularity; so you need to be aware of the dangers that are out there, and make sure you pay attention while out in public.
- Understand that these violent attacks can happen anywhere. That means you must stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, even in areas that you routinely visit.
- Put down the cellphone and pay attention to your environment. It’s hard to keep an eye on what’s going on when your head’s buried in your phone. Yes this happened at a theater, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched people staring at a phone while at the movies.
- Trust your Instincts: If something doesn’t seem right, or something seem out of place, listen to your instincts and leave.
Study the art of Self Defense, and carry Protection: In the case of these violent attacks, it’s extremely important to consider arming yourself. When seconds count, you can’t count on law enforcement to respond in time to protect you from the chaos.
- Learn how to stay safe at Large Events: In the aftermath of the chaos in Ferguson and Baltimore, and in the shadow of so many recent high-profile shootings, large events and theaters need to be a source of concern.
- Consider arming yourself: Firearms in the hands of a law-abiding citizen can save lives, and the numbers show it. Every year, law-abiding citizens draw their guns over 2.5 million times in personal defense, saving a countless number of lives and serving as a serious deterrent to criminals.
- Learn how to protect yourself from Active Shooters: While these types of incidents are still pretty rare, they do happen and they are increasing in regularity.