SOG Knives: SOG Seal Pup Elite Knife Review
If I had to pick one knife to keep with me at all times, it would be SOG’S Seal Pup Elite. This knife is Sharp, VERY SHARP, and it holds it’s edge better than 90% of the knives on the market.
The Seal Pup Elite is based on the design that Navy SEALS use, so you know this knife is designed to take a beating. During our testing, we threw everything we had at this knife. After a couple of weeks of cutting everything we could get our hands, I was extremely impressed by this knife’s edge retention. After weeks of abuse, the SOG was almost as sharp as the day we got it.
Seal Pup Knife Specifics
THE BLADE: The knife has a full tang US8 stainless steel blade that’s undergone SOG’s proprietary Cryogenic Heat Treatment process. SOG says this process strengthens the steel on an atomic level, increasing the blade’s durability and edge retention. While I can’t scientifically confirm the truth in that statement, I can say that our testing confirmed that this was one tough blade. After going through their proprietary treatment process, the knife is then coated in titanium nitride which helps further strengthen the knife.
SIZE: The overall length of the blade came in at 4.85 inches with the whole knife measuring in at 9.5 inches long. It weighs in at a comfortable 5.4 ounces, making it easy to carry for just about anyone.
This Knife held up to everything we threw at it including,
- Cutting wood, meats, leather, ropes, and anything else I could find. For the last couple of months, I’ve used this knife in my shop to cut almost everything. I’m really impressed with the blades ability to hold an edge over time.
- Using it as an improvised Axe to cut some pretty thick pieces of wood. (even after this abuse, the knife still held it’s edge with no damage to the blade)
- Using the blade point to open cans, notch wood, and jamming it into chunks of wood to see if it would break ( it didn’t!)
- Letting it sit in salt water for a three days (no rust or noticeable damage)
Why We Recommend the SOG Seal Pup Elite
- The knife is extremely sharp and holds its edge after rigorous testing.
- I believe its hands down one of the best survival knives we’ve ever seen.
- It’s lightweight and a great knife for those looking to keep their pack weights down.
- I have seen some complaints from people who didn’t like the nylon sheath, but you won’t hear any coming from me; in fact, I actually really like the sheath. It feels really durable and had enough room in the pocket to stash a small multitool, a lighter, and flashlight. It made a nice little EDC survival kit.
- The handle provides an excellent grip. I really like the way this knife felt in my hand. The handle, which is made from glass-reinforced Zytel, has a textured feel that makes it literally stick to your hands. On a side note, I like the Seal Pup Elite’s handle because of its thicker and deeper finger groves; which in my opinion, gives it an edge up over the regular seal pup.
Looking for a Good Sog Knife? I recommend one of these Sog Knives.