Winter time can be one of the worst times to experience a breakdown, especially if you’re out in the middle of nowhere. Knowing how to get warm, if your car gets stranded in a winter storm, is going to be extremely important.
Tips you should know, before heading out in the winter.
- Snow can keep you warm – Although it may seem strange, snow is actually a really good insulator. If there is enough snow in the area, you can bury your vehicle to help keep winter winds from stealing your vehicles trapped heat. Just make sure you create an airway for fresh air, and keep one of the doors free enough to get out. You will also want to create a way of signaling rescuers if your vehicle is hidden by snow.
- Block off unused space. Use anything at your disposal to block off any space in your vehicle that’s not being used. Blankets, leaves, and any materials that you can find, should be shoved into any spaces where heat can be lost.
- Run Your vehicle for 10 minutes every hour – Make sure to keep the exhaust pipe clear of snow or debris. Poison gases can enter into your car if the pipe is clogged.
- Bundle Up – Keep extra dry clothes, warm blankets, a sleeping bag, gloves, hats and winter socks in your vehicle.
- Never leave without a winter survival kit. – Being prepared is always the best course of action. Create a kit that can be stored in your trunk. The kit should contain warm clothes, tea light candles (for warmth), flares, tools, chains, Fix a Flat, and other winter survival tools.
- Huddle together. Huddling together in a small space can increase the amount of heat in that area. Remember to block off any space that’s not being used, then huddle closely together to generate more body heat.
- Don’t forget to move – Move your arms, hands legs, feet and toes to improve your circulation and to keep warm.
Items you should have in your vehicles emergency kit.
- Road Assistance Kit
- Emergency Thermal Blankets
- HeatMax Hand & Body Warmers
- Handheld Signal Kit
- Sleeping Bag
- Winter Clothes (hats, gloves, socks)
- Emergency Candles