When planning to survive in an Urban Survival situation, one thing that’s often overlooked is the danger associated with a lack of adequate sanitation. I know it’s not a pleasant thing to think about, but this one issue has the potential to kill more people than any other survival topic that we can talk about.
During any long-term disaster, where sewage systems are affected or garbage trucks to stop running, things are going to quickly spiral out of control? From people literally “going in the streets,” to those trying to get rid of waste by burning toxic garbage in their backyards, big cities, and urban areas will quickly become a threat to your health and safety.
I think sanitation will be one of the most significant survival issues facing those living in an urban environment.
Sanitation items you need to stockpile:
- 5 Gallon Toilet Buckets or a Portable Camping Toilet
- If you can afford it, a Composting Toilet is probably a better long-term solution and makes clean up a lot easier.
- Rapid-Dissolving Toilet Paper
- Garbage Bags
- Ziploc Bags
- Composting System
- Chemical Gloves
- Disposable Plastic Gloves
- Soaps & Waterless Soaps
- Hand Sanitizers
- Antibacterial Creams & Ointments
- Band-Aids and wraps
- Bottles of Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide
- N95 Respirator Masks
- Cleaning Supplies & Bleach
- Water Purification Chemicals (Bleach, Iodine Tablets, etc.)
- Heavy Duty Pot, that can be used to boil water over an open fire.
- A good Water Filter (we recommend the Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter)