Survival Food – 56 Long-Term Survival Foods and Supplies at the Grocery Store
With the help of suggestions that have come in from our readers, we have compiled a list of the top food items and emergency supplies that you can buy at the grocery store. The list contains foods with a long shelf life, items that have multiple uses, and supplies that are great for bartering.
Survival Food that adds flavor & comfort:
Comfort foods can be a huge moral booster during a stressful survival situation, something that needs to be kept in mind when starting to stockpile food. These four things can be stored for over 10 years, and are a great way to add a little bit of flavor to your cooking. If stored properly they will probably last indefinitely.
- Sugar – Brown or White
- Raw Honey
- Alcohol – Whiskey, Vodka, etc…
Base cooking ingredients with a long shelf life:
The following categories of food make up the foundation of most recipes, and are all things that store well.
Hard Grains: Stored properly hard grains have a shelf life of around 10 – 12 years.
- Dry Corn
- Hard Red Wheat
- Soft White Wheat
- Durum wheat
Soft grains:These soft grains will last around 8 years at 70 degrees, sealed without oxygen.
- Oat Groats,
Beans: Sealed and kept away from oxygen the following beans can last for around 8 – 10 years.
- Pinto Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Lima Beans
- Adzuki Beans
- Garbanzo Beans
- Mung Beans
- Black Turtle Beans
- Blackeye Beans
Flours and Mixes and Pastas: 5 – 8 years
- All Purpose Flour
- White Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- White Rice ( up to 10 years)
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil has one of the longest shelf lives of any kind of oil. It can last for over 2 years and is a great item to add to your survival food supply list.
Survival Foods that are great during short-term disasters:
The following items are great for short-term emergencies, and will stay fresh for a long period of time. During most disasters you’re going to want to have food that requires very little cooking, or can be eaten without any preparation at all. Make sure some of your stockpile includes these types of food.
Other good survival foods: 2 – 5 years of shelf life
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Meats
- Canned Vegetables & Fruits
- Peanut Butter
- Ramen Noodles – not the greatest food in the world but they are very cheap so they made the survival food list.
- Hard Candy
- Powdered milk
- Dried herbs and spices
Items that can be used for more than cooking:
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Cleaning, cooking, and has antibiotic properties
- Baking Soda – Cleaning, cooking, etc…
- Honey – Mentioned again for its antibiotic properties and wound healing.
Nonfood items to stock up on at the grocery store:
- Bic Lighters
- Toilet Paper
- Bottled Water
- Lighter fluid
- Canning Supplies