While stockpiling food is definitely important, not knowing how to grow or find your own food is a huge mistake. My philosophy is to plan for the worst and then prepare for shit to get even worse than that.
In my opinion, you need to both stockpile food and learn how to grow and hunt for it. Here’s why:
Why stockpiling food is important
1. Not having a stockpile of food and water can turn even a small-scale disaster like a storm or power outage into a potentially life threatening situation. Having food stores can help you ride out the situation from the comfort and protection of your own home.
People act stupid during disasters; the last place you want to be is in the middle of Walmart fighting over the last bottle of water.
2. In a real SHTF situation, there are going to be times when it will become impossible for you to obtain food. This could happen for a number of reasons including sickness, bad weather, or the need to lie low for a while. Having a stockpile of food in these types of situations will ensure your survival during your down times.
3. Stockpiling food for economic challenges. Having food stores isn’t all about prepping for major disasters. It’s also a great way to make it through those tough times that life can throw at you. From losing a job to other financial problems that can pop up, having a good supply of food will help take some of the sting out of an already bad situation.
4. Stockpiling food makes sense in everyday life. I know a lot of preppers who save a ton of money by stocking up on foods when they’re on sale. Look through the weekend circulars for the best opportunities to stock up on cheap food that you already eat.
Why knowing how to grow and hunt for your food is important:
1. Sooner or later your stockpile will run out! The only way you can truly ensure your future survival is to know how to grow, hunt, and preserve your food.
2. It will extend your stockpile! We have no way of knowing how long a disaster will last. Having a way to replenish your stockpiles during a SHTF situation is essential to your survival.
3. It will make you very valuable. Should things go really bad, knowing how to grow your own food means being able to grow your own currency. The people who wasted their time watching reality T.V. are going to be very desperate. When things get bad, they will be willing to trade just about anything for your extra provisions.