Before planning a trip into the wilderness, it’s always wise to do a little bit of homework.
- Study the area you’re going into and make sure you know your routes in and out.
- Get to know the basic geography and make sure you’re fit enough to handle the terrain.
- Study the normal weather patterns and pack for the environment.
- Get to know the local wildlife and find out what dangers you can expect to encounter.
- Study the edible plants in the area and learn how to use them in an emergency.
- Make sure you know where all the watering holes are.
- Make sure the gear you pack is suitable to the environment you’re heading into.
- When hiking or doing any kind of back country activity, you need to let someone know where you’ll be and when you plan to return.