Backpacking Gear with Multiple Uses
Backpacking Gear with more than one Use:
Reducing the weight of your backpack can have a huge impact on how far and how comfortably you hike. To cut your packs weight try to select gear that can be used in a number of situations.
Here are some pieces of backpacking gear that have multiple uses:
- Tarp – Can be used for shelter, rain gear, ground cover, rain catch, etc…
- Paracord – For traps, fishing, clothesline, food bag line.
- Multitool – Knife, tools, scissors, nail cutters, saws, etc…
- Duct Tape – Use to prevent blisters, repair gear, bandage wrap.
- Candles – lighting, fire starter, waterproofing.
- Metal Canteen with Cup– Boiling Water, cooking food, bowl for eating.
- Hiking Poles – Walking stick, shelter poles, emergency splint.
- Socks – warming hands, filtering water
- Bandana – cooling head or neck wrap, sunscreen, water filter, bandages.
- Safety Pins – fishing hooks, hanging items, securing bandages
- Dental Floss – fishing line, sewing thread, etc…
- Plastic Baggies–carry items, emergency water carrier, storing food.
- Compass with mirror – emergency signal, personal mirror, finding your way.