Is Living Off the Grid now a Crime?

Over the years we’ve covered numerous examples of how government officials from around the world have been systematically targeting those who choose to live an off the grid lifestyle.

From targeting self-reliant homeowners with antiquated zoning laws and regulations to forming special zoning boards that are designed to force people back onto the grid, there seems to be a war against self-reliance, and sadly it seems like the government is winning.

Off Grid Home with Solar Panels

Throughout the country government agencies are forming so-called “nuisance abatement teams” designed to intimidate and force Off Grid homeowners into giving up their land or abandoning their lifestyle. Believe it or not, people are actually being fined and jailed for choosing to live an off-grid existence.

Living off the grid declared Illegal in many areas of the United States

From Costilla County, Colorado trying to ban people from building off-grid homes or camping on their own land, to the federal government actually trying to make it illegal to live in a tiny home or off-the-grid RV, there are a growing number of government agencies attempting to regulate this lifestyle out of existence.

While the mainstream media continues to ignore the problem, a couple of independent media organizations and a few reporters have taken notice, and over the years we’ve tried to shine a spotlight on the problem. One of the first cases we covered was the story of how Off Grid enthusiasts in California were being harassed and targeted by their local government officials.

The deserts of Los Angeles County, California used to be a sort of mecca for those looking to live a more self-reliant lifestyle. But just like so many areas of the country, these Off-Grid residents are being targeted, arrested, and intimidated into to hooking back into the grid.

A couple of years back, Reason Magazine took a film crew out to one of these secluded desert towns in California and filmed some of the off-grid residents. From being threatened with jail time if they didn’t hook back into the grid, to actually being thrown in jail because the county didn’t like the look of their homes or land, the people in the deserts of Los Angeles County are being terrorized by their local government.

Instituted in 2006 by Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich, the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors’ Nuisance Abatement Teams have been targeting and jailing residents for victimless misdemeanors and code violations.

Code enforcement teams have been hitting unincorporated areas of L.A. County hard, leaving local off-gridders unsure of what the future holds. Residents are scared that they may lose not only their homes but their freedom as well.

It’s a sad day when living off your own land becomes a crime. Please spread the word because cases like this are increasing at an alarming rate.

14 Comments

1. Peace
    May 10, 2016 at 9:40 am

It’s a crazy set up, true freedom in a fallen world does not exist due to the true nature of karma, but human will suffer less when the LIGHT decide to reincarnate him/her self back into this world, reasoned becuz sinner cannot redeem themselves. reasoned again sinner don’t even know what they did… and which life is it from?…hidden truth, missing that hidden is what kept you in dark.
    “Truth is hiding in the darkness, and the darkness is hiding the Truth”
    “All truth is only half cup full”

2. john doe
    May 12, 2016 at 5:24 pm

First off I’d like to “thank” the American People, It was you who gave this entity the ability to govern you, secondly id like to pose this question…???…. “If the government be ruled by the people as sited in the history books of this lost and diluted nation, then why “on your land” in “your country” are you allowing individuals you voted into their elected offices to push on you like this?….” Wake up and smell the coffee this is their country and we live in it. To hear this and to know what I know about the state of my country, I am sicken to no end. Is this what it has come to? I know not…..You mean to tell me if I secure a plot of land and in fact decide to live self sustaining my existence I am subject to some kind of legal action depending where I lay my head at? LMAO This my friends is a testament to how fucked up citizens have allowed “this America” to become, I put quotations around these words because this country and the one in the history books is far different, yes times have changed but the building blocks and the overlying principles should remain, this is our country guys and gels, this is your land, and it seems you own it….so own it, fight for it, believe in it. Yeah we want to live and love and be apart of the world we know today, don’t we? I’m ashamed of all this why not stand and face your tyrant? If it is as bad as I believe it is I am ashamed why not ban together? You have forgotten what your founding fathers faught for, better me to ask this question, “What would they have done faced with this?” “FREEDOM IN THIS COUNTRY IS AN ILLUSION” and as long as you accept it “YOU ARE NOT FREE” You all know just as well as I do that this system is broken so what do we do? fix it…..the problem? People are to lazy, complacently living and turning a blind eye…..fix it…….

• Rick
      May 21, 2016 at 10:57 am

The Government can Kiss my Ass! I am a War Veteran, and many of my veteran budies, will not tolerate these billing tactics on our property!! I was trained quite well in the Military! Let them come on my land with Guns drawn!! Bullets go both Ways!! And These Russian, Belgium and Chinese Troops!, that are on our Soil!, under Obama’s U.N. Mandate. Let them come kicking in the doors of well trained Military Veterans! We know the proceedure!! These foreign troops on our U.S. Soil!, will have a Day Of Reckoning!! People, read-up!, you can take thier Drones out!! There are naming devices! And close up!, nothing that a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 Buck!, can do!!

• roy
        October 28, 2016 at 10:48 pm

If you’re a veteran you know when the time comes Delta rho in with armored vehicles and Squad and if they need it even more and sooner or later they will get you

3. Jäger west
    May 28, 2016 at 1:37 pm

There are those who can live off grid and there are those who try to. The ones that try to usually do so by squatting on some undeveloped land and just attempt to survive. Then there are those who actually plan it out. They research the land they own. Survey areas of development and designate other for un development. They do not infringe on any other entity including government land. They only are concerned with themselves and how to harmoniously thrive in an area where few would attempt to do so. The latter are parasites just like the pink elephant parasite we are all running from. I would stay away from them They are the little fish in the big fist world. Be a big fish in a little fish world. Little fish being actual little fishes

4. Jenn
    July 28, 2016 at 5:59 am

I hate to tell you guys this but Bible thumper or not the RF ID Chip or as some of you like to call the “Mark of the Beast” is already here whether you believe it or not. People are already getting it in our country and other countries and soon it will become law. And no better what the Bible says or anything says to think about it, if the government has a chip in your hand it will get you to do anything it wants you to do. We all know from experience that our government is not so nice. Sorry if I’m really off topic but I was reading from Leah up at the top and just decided to comment on this. I had to scroll forever to get to the bottom in order to comment. By the way is there any one who knows how to neatly buy her own little house and grow your own food while i’m not disturbing others and not breaking the law? I don’t plan on taking the chip so I can’t buy or sell anything what I hear so I pretty much have to go off the grid. This sucks. When this happens I can’t even travel anywhere anymore!

• Liz
      September 3, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Hi Jenn: I blogged way up at the top. First, you really need to plan out your garden as well as bunches of other things we all take for granted. Food, water, and comfortable shelter are musts. Learn to live with nature and she will help you. Water will be the new gold. That’s my opinion. Start small as did my husband and I. We dug a well, but we are still tethered to electricity although we have a generator and plenty of wood. Solar panels are good, but I never really found that they helped much. If you have sun — great. Keep the temperature as low as possible in the winter. Learn how to can and preserve (drying, pickling). Learn what works in your climate. Learn how to cold case. It comes in handy for garden greens in the winter time. Learn how to hunt and process your own meat. Do you know how to raise sheep or goats? I have a friend who showed me Carding and spinning. I already knew how to knit, crochet, and hand sew. These are things that come in handy. Contact others near you who know how to do things by hand. We do not really live totally off the grid, but year by year we are becoming more self sufficient. Good Luck
      Liz

• Liz
        September 3, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Oh yes, I forgot. Dig a root cellar or if you have a dry, cool basement that is good too. You need some place to store canned foods from the garden and a dry place is needed ff you want to prolong the life of certain vegies and fruits such as potatoes, and turnips, root vegies, and some apples.
        And don’t forget to barter. The government hates it because doing for others for the benefit of the community cannot be taxed or controlled. It is totally unregulated. Good for good. Liz

5. Jenn
    July 28, 2016 at 6:03 am

Sorry for the typos. My Android phone always changes my words if I forget to spell check before sending

6. roy
    October 28, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I have been saying for a long time now.(YEARS) That before long people live off the grid would be targeted by the government. And they know were you are because of permits and paperwork you all told them were you are and for the most part what you got. People laughed and said they can’t do that. Will now they are starting it and it’s growing. The Government is working with electric companies water companies and other places because the idea is growing and they are loosing money. All so it makes it harder for the Government to keep track of you. (JUST WANT IT GOING TO GET EVEN WORSE ) Mark my words!

So who the dum ass now! for tell them every thing. if you do thing you got to hide it. sure it may be illegal but it was going be anyway and now going to be illegal anyway. LOL there is only one way to live off the grid with out them knowing it and I know what it is. BUT you can forget about all the fancy homes and electrical and all that and they can not track you or trace you this way BUT IM NOT TELLING AND ONE ON HER

7. jaybird
    November 30, 2016 at 7:17 am

everyone needs to ban together to stop this dictatorship. the problem is you are all US Citizens and have no rights. change your citizenship and start learning the truth. you became a US Citizen at birth by deception. start reading some of maine republic emails and get documentation from family guardian. stop paying taxes, this is what is keeping the dictatorship in power. start getting the dictators off the boards and ridding the bad apples out of gov. the federal gov. does not own your land, use the art. of confederation to rid gov. of the authority they claim they have. go buy a gun and defend your selfs. fighting for freedom is an illusion perpetrated by gov. you are all free, you just need to learn how to enforce it. the noose is the ssn number, learn how to get rid of it.

8. ger
    April 1, 2017 at 11:48 am

to the lester holt nbc and his famely. cbs anchor otis livingston told me he had sex with holt’s wife livingston also told he will kill lester holt and his wife if she will open her mouth. lester holt and his famely is in danger otis livingston is crime.

9. tom
    June 20, 2017 at 1:45 pm

to the karina vanden heuvel and the nation magazine. cbs anchor woman cindy hsu recently got involved in dirty coraption business with crazy cbs anchor otis livingston to steal money from the nation magazine employees bank accounts. never trust cindy hsu and otis livingston they dangerous crooks.

10. Darin M
    September 14, 2017 at 4:01 pm

For those of you who think Texas can’t become its own state think again clueless people. The Texas Constitution gives Texas the right and the ability to succeed. Texas has its own power grid separate from the national power grid. Texas has a state militia consisting of an army, navy and Air Force. Texas also has its own gold depository with gold owned by the state; which means if they became their own country they could print their own currency and back it with their gold, which the US dollar is basically worthless. Texas has plenty of industry, oil refineries, oil wells, coastal ports. They have every thing they need.