Are you looking for a solid Backpack for short one or two day hikes that is also environmentally friendly? Well the Hiker by Mountainsmith might be the bag for you. I recently had a chance to test out the pack, and I was very impressed.
My Thoughts on the Bag:
- My first impression of the pack was how solid it felt; the bag looks like it can take a beating.
- The bag has a Solid design that seems well suited for pretty much any terrain.
My Experience with the Bag:
- Loved the Mesh Side Pockets. They easily fit my Huge 1.5 Liter Bottles (one on each side) which are usually a pain to carry in some other bags. It was also very easy to slip the bottle right back in the bag without stopping.
- I like the Trekking Pole Straps, Very convenient and easy to grab!
- The bag was actually pretty comfortable and I liked that the waist belt was removable.
- It took a beating! I am pretty rough with my packs and I was a little bit rougher than normal with this one. I threw it, tossed it over rocks, dropped it down the side of a rock face and just beat the hell out of it… When I got home and checked it, there was not a scratch or rip to report.
- Plenty of room for all my Junk. I was able to carry everything I needed for a day hike, for two adults and a child, and still had room for more.
Things you should know about the Bag:
- Environmentally Friendly – This bag was made from recycled water bottles.
- Hydration Compatible with Built in Exit Port. ( I used the hydration area to store extra socks, I usually use canteens or bottles instead of hydration bags so it gave me an extra pocket to use)
- This bag is good for those who are going on extended day trips and short hikes.
- Weight – 2 lbs. 11 oz.
- The bag would also make a good Bugout Bag to store in your vehicle!
Bag in action out on the trails: