What Preparedness Items Should You Stockpile?
A reader emailed me last asking the following question:
I’m new to prepping … How do I start and what gear should I be stockpiling?
If your just getting started, prepping can sometimes seem a little overwhelming. From stockpiling food and water to picking the right survival gear, figuring out where to get started can be a pretty big challenge.
My advice to anyone who feels lost, is to start with the basics and the essentials. There’s no use stockpiling a room full of ammo if your water supply would only last a day. That’s not downplaying the importance of security, it’s just a reminder that you need t keep a balanced approach.
The first things I would do is to make sure I have my essential needs covered. The essentials include water, shelter, food and personal security. At a minimum you are going to want to have at least a weeks worth of food and water. Once you have that covered I would then set a goal to stockpile enough for 3, 6 and then 12 months.
Here are a couple articles that might help you get started:
- Survival Food – 56 long-term survival foods and supplies that you can buy from you local grocery store.
- Survival Food – Feeding your family when the SHTF
- Water – Long-term Water Storage
- Bugout Bags – How to build the perfect Bugout Bag.
After covering the essentials I would move onto stocking up on basic survival supplies, first aid items, and anything else that may be unique to your situation. I often tell people to pretend they’re packing for an extended camping trip, one where you would have no access to grocery stores, power or other modern conveniences. In that situation, what would you need?
A couple of things to consider:
- Do you have a medical condition or something that might require you to stock up on certain supplies that would be unavailable during a crisis situation?
- How would you stay clean? The importance of sanitation during a SHTF situation.
- How would you cook your food?
- How would you communicate or acquire up-to-date information? You might want to think about becoming a HAM Radio operator.
- List of Important Survival Gear and Emergency Preparedness Supplies
- Emergency Preparedness – Are you really prepared to survive?
My final piece of advice for those getting started would be to study, practice and take every opportunity you can get to sharpen your skills. While prepping and stocking up on emergency preparedness supplies is an important part of being prepared, nothing can take the place of knowledge and real world experience.